Saturday, November 3, 2007

the memory keeper's daughter


"This stunning novel begins on a winter night in 1964, when a blizzard forces Dr. David Henry to deliver his own twins.
His son, born first, is perfectly healthy, but the doctor immediately recognizes that his daughter has Down syndrome. For motives he tells himself are good, he makes a split-second decision that will haunt all their lives forever. He asks his nurse, Caroline, to take the baby away to an institution. Instead, she disappears into another city to raise the child as her own. Compulsively readable and deeply moving, The Memory Keeper's Daughter is a brilliantly crafted story of parallel lives, familial secrets, and the redemptive power of love."


Basically that just gave away the entire story but it really is worth reading. You start out despising the father, asking how he could make the decision he did. Then you begin to see how it changed another character's lonely life for the better. You are able to go through a span of around 20 years to read how one person's decision can devastate one and heal another. All in all, a book I would recommend. I read it a while ago and can't remember if there are a lot of curse words or not, but I am 99% sure there are no "spicy" scenes. Sorry, Ms. Golding, I know you love your spices.

1 comment:

Lindsay Jane said...

It is a sad, yet good book. I kept asking myself what I could do. I just hope if that ever happened, I would keep her.