Monday, March 31, 2008

Every Boy's Got One


This book is by Meg Cabot, known for writing 'the Princess Diaries'. It is a pretty typical funny romance. But I must say that this was probably the most original style of writing that I have seen in a long time. The book jumps from excerpts from the maid of honor's travel diary, the best man's PDA, and text messages, emails, receipts, and menus. Basically, there is not an 'author' writing a narrative. You are hearing the story from all these interactions with others. Sounds kind of weird, I know, and when I first started reading I was thinking that it wasn't going to be very good. But I actually found myself really into it. The book is about a couple eloping to Italy, but the book isn't really about them. It's about their maid of honor and best man (pretty much like every chick flick you've seen).

Warning that unfortunately, like most grown up fiction, there a few questionable things. Nothing worse then you would get watching 'The Office' or 'Friends' , but for some reason it seems worse to read it than to watch it. But it was kind of fun to read a book that was written in such a creative way.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Sounds fun...I'll have to borrow it.