Monday, October 8, 2007

Can we include short stories? If so, Hemingway's "A Clean Well-Lighted Place" is my favorite short story.
Also, JD Salinger's "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" is interesting. You can find it in "9 Stories," a compilation of Salinger's short stories. Also in "9 Stories" is a story entitled "For Esme - With Love and Squalor." Both stories (A Perfect Day for Bananafish and For Esme- With Love and Squalor) transpire during World War II and focus on the effects that combat has on young soldiers. The two men in both stories are strikingly similar, yet their lives have very different outcomes.

Bananafish:
http://www.freeweb.hu/tchl/salinger/perfectday.html .

For Esme - With Love and Squalor
http://www.freeweb.hu/tchl/salinger/squalor.html

A Clean Well-Lighted Place
http://www.mrbauld.com/hemclean.html

4 comments:

SmileKatieLovesYou said...

Hey Sister Golding!

Can I be part of the book club? I read grown up books to.... :). I'm an advanced reader. My email is ldsbeehive@hotmail.com

campblondie said...

Andrea I love it! I am so in. I can't wait to get back from Vegas so I can start Harry Potter six and seven and move on to all these fun books you suggested.

Andrea said...

ok so i just finished reading a perfect day for banana fish. a little depressing Lindsey...a little depressing. but well written

amandamenghini said...

I read a great day for banana fish in high school- it goes along with franny and zooey. It is about the other kids in the family. If you like banana fish, read franny and zooey.