Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Hiding Place


The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom

This morning, when I woke up I hugged my pillow. I lay awake in bed, savoring my blanket, and attempting to feel every inch of my smooth sheets with my fingertips.

When Tyler woke, in the wee hours of the morning, I was anxious to go to him. A tiresome chore was changed. I held his little body, memorizing his breath turning my thoughts to mothers whose children were taken from them. Mothers who spent long, lonely nights in Barracks crying to hold their sons.

Yesterday, I told Preston these stories and I cried.

Last night, as I prayed, I found myself overwhelmed with gratitude. Not just for what I perceived as blessings, for everything. Grateful for the pain and trials, things that days earlier had threatened to break my heart were lifting my spirit and reminding me of the Lord’s mercy.

And now, as I type this, I remember the five Bible’s that lay on assorted shelves throughout my home and I feel shame. Ashamed that women risked their lives for this gift, a gift I too often forget to read.

How can I describe a book that has changed my life? I have read countless Survivor stories from those inhumane events that took place during World War II and loved them all, and yet, this was different. While reading those pages my heart changed. I ached as I witnessed the depths of evil that man can allow himself to fall. And I rejoiced over the beauty, resilience, and power of the soul that trusts in God.

Thanks Lynsey for recommending this book…it must have passed me by in high school English too. I am kinda glad, I think I may not have appreciated it as much when I was 14.


2 comments:

lynsey said...

andrea your review gave me the chills. i'm glad you liked the book too & agree that if i had read it at an earlier age, it may not have had the impact it did when i was older.

Anonymous said...

Andrea, your post beautifully expressed my exact feelings about this book. I was deeply impacted by the sacrifices this woman made in order to stand up for what she felt was right. I've wondered so many times what I would've done in a similar situation - staking my life to protect someone else from wrongful treatment. It is a defining moment in a life and I'm so glad Miss Tenn Boom survived to tell her story so that she could influence others. The world needs more strength of character like this woman showed.
I'm also grateful for your post because I read this almost a year ago and already the glow of gratitude has begun to fade as I get wrapped up in my own tiny problems. Thank you for reminding me of all I have to be grateful for.